Foreign Transcripts/Coursework

Q: Do I list my foreign coursework in the Coursework section?

A: Applicants are not required to list coursework from institutions outside of the U.S. and Canada. Some programs may require Foreign Evaluations which can be sent to NursingCAS or the program directly. Please contact the program for their requirements if they do not detail this on their Program Home page.

Q: Do I list foreign institutions in the Colleges Attended section of my application?

A: Yes. Please select “Can’t find your school?” and select “Foreign Institution”.

Q: Do I list my Canadian coursework in the Coursework section?

A: Yes. If the transcript from the Canadian university you attended shows grade conversion to a 4.0 grading scale and credit conversion to the semester system, then the transcript is required; the grades and credits should be entered in the coursework section. If the transcript key does not show a grade and/or credit conversion, you will need to have the transcripts evaluated for U.S. equivalency. Once they are evaluated, the grades and credits should be entered in the coursework section. See the FAQ for sending foreign transcripts for more information.

Q: Where do I send my foreign transcripts?

A: NursingCAS does not accept original foreign transcripts – only foreign transcript evaluations.  All official foreign transcript evaluations should be sent directly to NursingCAS at the following address:

P.O. Box 9201
Watertown, MA 02471

You MUST read each school’s instructions for submitting documentation of foreign coursework because individual program policies will vary. Some schools prefer to review your transcript directly. In these instances, the official transcripts or evaluations should be sent directly to the school that is requesting it.

Many schools require applicants to submit official foreign transcripts to an approved foreign transcript evaluation service for a course-by-course U.S. equivalency report. In this case, the official evaluation should be sent to NursingCAS and these will be forwarded to your designated schools.

Should you be required to have your transcripts evaluated by a foreign evaluation service, we highly recommend that you contact the foreign transcript evaluation service as early as possible. The services may take several weeks to process your foreign transcript once it is received. Below is a list of some of the commonly used evaluation services, but please make sure that you are using an evaluation service that is accepted by your designated schools.

World Education Services, Inc
P.O. Box 5087
New York, NY 10274–5087
Phone: 212–966–6311

Josef Silny & Associates, Inc
7101 SW 102 Avenue
Miami, Florida 33173
Phone: 305–273–1616

Educational Credential Evaluators, Inc.
P.O. Box 514070
Milwaukee, WI 53203–3470
Phone: 414–289–3400

American Association of Collegiate Registrars and Admissions Officers (AACRAO)
Foreign Education Credential Services
One Dupont Circle, NW, Suite 520
Washington DC 20036–1135
Phone: 202–296–3359

Q: Several of my designated schools require two different foreign evaluation services. Can I send my foreign transcripts to just one of the services on the list?

A: NursingCAS will not verify that you have used the correct service for a particular school. You may contact the school directly to determine if they will accept a foreign transcript evaluation report from a service other than the one listed in their admission requirements. If they do not, you must arrange for your foreign transcripts to be sent to each of the services required by your designated school(s).

Q: I have taken courses outside of the U.S. as part of study abroad. Do I list these courses in the Transcript Entry section?

A: Yes. Study abroad is defined by NursingCAS as courses that are taken through a foreign institution while the student is currently enrolled at a U.S. institution. If you have attended a study abroad program sponsored by a U.S. institution and all courses, hours, and grades appear on the U.S. transcripts, list those courses in the coursework section under the U.S. Institution that sponsored the program and identify the courses as “Study Abroad” during the Transcript Review process.  If an irregularity exists, contact the NursingCAS Office at 617–612–2880.

Q: Will NursingCAS send my foreign course evaluation to my designated schools?

A: Yes. NursingCAS will provide your course evaluation to the schools that you have designated as a high resolution PDF file.