GENERAL APPLICATION UPDATES
Once your application is submitted, your application is locked and most sections cannot be updated for the remainder of the application cycle. The only sections which can be updated are:
- Edit Contact Information
- Edit Profile Information (username, password, security question, etc.)
- Add DO programs to apply to whose deadlines have not yet passed
- Edit or delete a evaluations whose status remains INCOMPLETE; add new evaluations up to the limit of six. Please note that COMPLETE evaluations cannot be changed.
- ADD NEW but CANNOT EDIT or DELETE test scores, experiences, achievements and certifications.
If you have any updates which need to be made to other sections of your application, you must submit these updates directly to your DO programs.
ACADEMIC UPDATE (COURSEWORK)
You MAY make updates to your coursework section for newly completed or planned courses using a system called Academic Update. AACOMAS Academic Update will be available during three time periods throughout the application cycle:
- September 1- October 15, 2016
- December 15- February 15, 2017
- March 15-April 14, 2017
The Academic Update feature will not be enabled in your application until your application has been verified. You cannot make any updates to your coursework section until your application is in the “Verified” status.
IMPORTANT: Please note that during the Academic Update we will not make changes to previously attempted repeats at different schools. If you repeat a course at the SAME school with the same course title and departmental prefix, we will edit the original attempts as repeated with zero credits.
HOW TO USE ACADEMIC UPDATE
To use Academic Update, please follow these steps:
- Log into your AACOMAS application and open the Academic History section
- If you attended a college/university for the first time, add and save that institution to the “College Attended” section.
- Open the “Transcript Entry” section.
- At this point you have two options:
- You may change your existing “Planned/In Progress” coursework to “Completed” by unchecking the “Planned/In Progress” option located above each individual term. You will then be required to enter grades for each completed session before you submit.
- You may enter newly completed coursework that has not been previously entered as “Planned/In Progress” for the Spring, Summer and Fall 2015 terms by adding those terms and courses.
- When you have finished adding or updating your transcript entry, complete the “Transcript Review” process by clicking on the “Review and Finalize My Transcripts” button on the transcript entry page.
- Submit your application by clicking “Submit My Updates” as the last step of the transcript review process. If you fail to click the button, AACOMAS cannot process your Academic Update.
- Remember that you will need to send all the required transcripts for the academic update to AACOMAS. AACOMAS cannot process any updates until all transcripts are received. Please see the U.S. and Canadian Official Transcripts section of our Instructions for the step-by-step process of sending your updated transcript to AACOMAS.
- After AACOMAS has received your update transcript(s) and verified your coursework your new GPAs will be calculated and your updated information sent to your designated schools.
NOTE: From the time you submit your ‘Academic Update’ and your updated transcript is received it can take up to four weeks for your GPA to be updated.
Q: Am I required to use Academic Update?
A: AACOMAS recommends, but does NOT require, applicants with updated grades to participate in Academic Update. However, your D.O. programs may require it. Please check with the program directly to determine whether or not you are required to use Academic Update. If you fail to enter your updated courses, your designated programs may not consider your application or may revoke a previous offer of admission.
Q: Can I update courses that were already reported as completed?
A: No, courses that were originally reported as completed cannot be modified.
Q: What do I do if the grades I intend to update are already entered as complete?
A: This means that your updated transcript arrived at AACOMAS before your application was mailed and the AACOMAS staff has already entered the data for you. There is no need for you to enter the grades again.
Q: I have received my final grades for current courses, but transcripts are not yet available. Should I wait to submit the application until AACOMAS receives the updated transcript?
A: You have two choices in this case:
1) You may list your current courses as completed on your online application, and wait to submit your application until AACOMAS has received the updated transcript, which will cause a delay in your application. Please note that once all materials have been received, it may take four weeks for your application to be verified. AACOMAS recommends that all information arrive at AACOMAS at least four weeks prior to your earliest deadline.
2) You may leave the course listed as in-progress on your AACOMAS application and submit your application. In this case, you would send the transcripts with only the completed courses to AACOMAS and, once the in-progress courses are complete, either update your information during one of the Academic Update periods or send updated transcripts directly to the schools to which you are applying. This would avoid a delay in your application, and this is not an uncommon practice.
Q: Can I update other sections of my application with Academic Update?
A: NO. You will only have access to the coursework section and the terms which qualify. Your previously verified coursework and other sections of the application will remain locked.
Q: Do I have to send updated transcripts to my D.O. programs?
A: Depending on each program’s admissions policy, you may be required to send updated transcripts directly to the D.O. programs. You should contact the programs directly to determine if this is necessary.
Q: I’ve changed addresses and need to update my contact information. What should I do?
A: Please be sure to update your contact information on your online AACOMAS application. Even after your application has been submitted, you still have access to this section. If your application has already been mailed we advise you to also contact the schools and inform them of your address change to ensure they have your current contact information.